In the first part of this guide, we went over the basic vendor pets available in World of Warcraft. This section will deal with Crafted pets, and Quest rewards. Also, on a side not for ease of tracking your collection, I highly recommend Warcraft Pets. Breanni had a wonderful database and collection tracking system set up here. No wonder there’s an NPC named after the cute little gnome!
These are mainly made by engineers, and several of them can be found on the AH. Prices here are sometimes a bit less expensive than the materials required to make them. Other times it’s the opposite.
- Lil Smokey – This is a BoP gnomish engineering only pet.
- Pet Bombling – The goblin engineering BoP pet.
- Mechanical Squirrel- inexpensive mats make this one an easy to attain pet for most levels. You’ll need a Copper Modulator, Handful of Copper Bolts, a Copper Bar, and 2 Malachite. It also sells rather cheap on the AH.
- Lifelike Toad- Made by engineers also. Mats are a Living Essence, 4 Thorium Widgets, a Gold Power Core, and a Rugged Leather. Prices are a bit high on the AH on the 2 servers I use (75-125g), due to the schematics rarity I assume.
- Tranquil Mechanical Yeti- One of my favorite pets. Engineer made, with a Cured Rugged Hide, 4 Thorium Widgets, 2 Globe of Water, 2 Truesilver Transformers, and a Gold Power Core. I’ve usually seen it cheaper than the mats on the AH but you’re experience may vary.
Pets Via Quest
Some pets are quest rewards from special events, but I’m not covering them now, as I plan on the next installment being special event pets.
- Mechanical Chicken-(Alliance and Horde) This is a reward for completing three “Distress Beacon” quests which drop off random mobs in Tanaris, Feralas, and Hinterlands.
- Miniwing-(Alliance and Horde) is a pretty purple and white bird rewarded for escorting and freeing Skywing in Terrokar Forest.
- Smolderweb Hatchling-(Alliance and Horde) is a reward from En-Ay-Es-Tee-Why in Blackrock Spire. You can pick it up in the cave east of BRS from Kibler. I was able to stealth this with my resto druid pretty easily at 70 using this guide. For non stealth classes you might want a small group at least.
- Worg Pup-(Alliance and Horde) is a reward for Kibler’s Exotic Pets, gotten from the same quest giver as the solderweb hatchling quest. Might as well do them at the same time.
- Sprite Darter Hatchling- (Alliance only) This is a very long quest chain. And there is ALOT of travel involved, including a trip to the Shimmering Flats racetrack (Get your Anacona chicken while you’re there if you haven’t already!!). The quest begins with Freedom for all Creatures in Feralas given by Kindal Moonweaver. After you’ve finished this chain you’ll be sent to Darnassus. GO BACK to Feralas after that to pick up An Orphan Looking For a Home.
- CLUCK! This one is fun. Go to westfall, to Saldeans farm, buy your special feed from him. Then, creat a macro /cluck and spam it at a targeted chicken until it emotes at you. You’ll then get a quest to feed it, it lays and egg and you loot it. Esy peasy. Unless you’re horde, in which case Breanni wrote a nice guide. PLEASE NO CHICKEN NINJA-ING!
Note: I realize the Baby crocs and Mysterious Egg pets are in fact quest related, however they are also in the rare category, and not guarenteed. They’ll be covered in the Rare Pet section when it’s written.
Grand total if you had no pets at the start of this guide and are not an engineer should be:
If you’re an engineer, add 1.
The next installment will deal with Special Events such as the Darkmoon Faire, Childrens Day, etc. and our “Feat of Strength” pets.